Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due (from MySpace)

Current mood: awed

Category: Writing and Poetry


I just read Ken's latest essay on Delicious Demon and was almost moved to tears. Almost. Isn't it amazing that some of the greatest writers and artists can communicate the most sublime emotions without experiencing them themselves? Miles Davis, who was a narcissistic, selfish, abusive motherfucker, created music of unparalleled beauty. His tone on the trumpet (an inflexible and unforgiving instrument) was hauntingly lyrical, tender and vulnerable. Where did it come from?

It's so easy to confuse the artist with his art. I should know better, but when Ken writes this beautifully, I want to believe him. And I remember why I fell in love with him.

The sentiments expressed in the essay are only partly true, and the "personal" revelations are false. I know this, because I know Ken's history. The fact that I am still moved is a tribute to Ken's formidible talent as a writer.