Thursday, June 01, 2006

Guess Who's Not Coming To Dinner EVER?


Current mood: immensely relieved

Category: Romance and Relationships



The following exchange illustrates why I prefer to stay home nights and play with my lovebirds than date old men. The first two emails are real; the third is what I badly want to say to the swine, but won't --- because I'm better than that.



Redacted,

It looks like I won't be able to make dinner with you Friday night. My day job is turning out to be full time, which is actually a good thing, because I need the money badly. I began working last Monday and I've worked five and a half days already.The drawback is, I never know when I'll be working. Today I got a call at eight fifty AM to come in and sub for a teacher who was leaving school because she was ill. I barely had time to take a shower and get dressed. I never know before six PM the previous night if I'm gonna be working - there's an automated first come, first served cattle call on the internet - and not that many jobs are available, because most are filled in advance by requested subs, one of which I hope I'll eventually be.

If I were to get called to sub at the high school, I'd have to be up before six to be able to sign in at seven twenty. I would love to go out Friday, especially to Shanghai Jazz, but it's all I can do to keep up with my unfamiliar and challenging day job at this point.

I've got less than a month left of school and I want to grab all the work I can get.

Sorry I'm not up to going, but I know you'll understand my situation.


Con





Connie-- Actually I DON'T understand why any daytime weekday job prevents going to a concert Friday evening; presumably you will not be called to teach Saturday morning. But it's your choice, so that's that. I'll try to find a last-minute sub (if schools can do it, perhaps I can too). --Redacted




Of course you wouldn't understand, Redacted. Selfish prick that you are, it would never cross your mind that I might be exhausted after a week of subbing grades K through twelve in eleven mostly un-air-conditioned schools during a heat wave.

You know what, Redacted? Fuck you and your Ph.D! Now I remember why I don't like you.