Saturday, March 25, 2006

Ut Oh ... I've Been A Very, Very Bad Poet Again.


Current mood: wishing somebody would spank me.

Category: Writing and Poetry




GUILTY PLEASURES (Shakespearean Sonnet)


Haiku are fun to write because they're short.
I tend to write them when I'm short on time.
And tanka, I am happy to report,
Are also short and easier to rhyme.
I don't know a pantoum from a pontoon.
And emulating Petrarch hurts my brain.
I'll stick with Hallmark; moon and June and spoon

And pen a more conventional refrain.
It could be that I'm lacking in resolve.
Or maybe erudition's what I lack.
A ghazal* is a puzzle I can't solve.
It makes my train of thought go off the track.
And I would rather die and go to hell.
Than ever try to write a villanelle.




*An ancient poetic form originating in Persia, which rhymes with puzzle.



(From Deeplip's "The Little Book of Poems About Poetry and Poets".)