Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Harder They Are, The Better I Like Them


Current mood: semi-humble

Category: Life


I live for the puns and anagrams puzzles in the Sunday New York Times. Crosswords and other puzzles stopped being puzzling when I was in high school, with the exception of the diagramless puzzles, which I, being spatially challenged, can't even begin to solve.

Yesterday, after finishing the puzzle - in ink, naturally - I reflected on my accomplishment:

I often joke that I have two left brains, but being relentlessly linear and logical 24/7 can be drag, not only for me, but for the people who have to put up with my nonsense. My right brain definitely needs to get out more. Puns and anagrams are "intuited" by the right brain, and when I have those eureka! moments, the pleasure is indescribable.

When the buzz wears off, I'm tempted to pat myself on the back - but I don't. I know that smart people solve puzzles constructed by people who are a lot smarter than they are.

If I were smarter than everyone else, I'd not only be lonely, I'd be bored as all get out. I don't know how Ken does it.